Three weeks ago, we had a sewage back up that left about 1/2 inch of standing gray water in both bathrooms. The landlord's insurance company decided that the flooring and lower 2 feet of wallboard in both bathrooms needed to be replaced because of potential fecal contamination. I had them delay the work for one week so that they would be doing it while the three Sons were with MomC for the beginning of spring break.
Last week, when they ripped up the floor of the master bathroom, they found asbestos tile underneath the existing tile. There was a lot of confusion about what was supposed to happen next. The asbestos didn't get pulled out. Nothing happened in the hallway bathroom. The property manager was on vacation and very difficult to get a hold of.
Today the abatement team came in and took the asbestos tile out. Then a plumber came in to reset the toilet and sink in that bathroom. He called me shortly after he arrived and was kind of agitated. Apparently the abatement crew ripped out the flange and he couldn't properly seat the toilet or the sink in the master bathroom. He said he might be able to fix the toilet in the hall bathroom and the sink in the master. He thought I was a contractor and got technical with me, and was asking about warranty and payment. I clarified that I am the renter. He said he would need to talk with the property manager, so I gave him her number.
I waited about 15 minutes, and then I called the property manager. It went to voicemail. I told her that the situation has reached the level of "health hazard/danger." Middle Son is very agitated that he can't use the bathroom that he is supposed to use. Yesterday I found him with shit smeared all over his clothes and face. I asked her to call me and inform me what the plan is for getting both bathrooms working again.
I called my Beloved Fiancee. She had actually spoken to both the plumber and the property manager. The property manager was flustered and kept talking about how complicated it is and all the things that need to be done. Beloved told her, "That's fine. I understand that it is complex. I need you to tell me what the plan is and when things will be working so that we can plan appropriately. You are going to figure it all out, and call me before you go home. Right?"
I call MomC, told her what is going on, and asked if she could keep Middle overnight. Given what happened over the weekend, I want him out of the house as much as possible until his bathroom is fully restored. I most definitely don't want him spending the night in the house. She said ok, but she won't be home until 9. Her sister was going to watch Youngest, and would probably be afraid to be in charge of Middle as well. I offered to come over to her house and watch them both.
Then I called the nanny. She said that the plumber had fixed the toilet in the master bathroom, but didn't get a sink going in either bathroom. Apparently there is dry-rot in the hallway bathroom. She offered to keep Middle overnight. I told her that MomC is doing it tonight. She also said that if things are still a mess on Wednesday, she would be willing to take Middle and Youngest (I have them both on Wednesday night's) overnight to her house. Which would be wonderful.
I still don't know when this is all going to be fixed.