Thursday, October 25, 2012

Still Eligible for Services

This morning a case worker from the Department of Developmental Disabilities came out to do Middle Son's annual eligibility evaluation.  It was pretty mundane.  Unsurprisingly, he still qualifies for services.

I did get a kick out of one thing that she said.  This was the first time we've done the evaluation at my house. In previous years it has been at my ex's house.  The case worker commented about how calm and peaceful things were at my house.  She said that must be a relief to have things so much more peaceful.

Since the divorce, that's been one of my primary goals.  I want a calm, orderly household for myself and my children.  I think that is important for all children, but it is especially important for kids with autism.  Middle Son is hugely oriented around routines, doing the same thing in the same way at the same time.  I think that is a significant part of why his behavior is better at my house.

No comments: