Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Driving

It’s often difficult to get Oldest Son to engage with me on challenging topics.  He’s worried about what his future holds.  High school graduation is fast approaching.  He wants to go to college in Olympia.  The idea of him living semi-independently in a dorm (or independently in an apartment) scares me.  Especially him doing it too far away for me to stop by and see how things are going.  I think it scares him too.

Recently when I was driving him to the library, he started talking to me about it more openly than usual.  I think the fact that it was just the two of us made it easier for him.  I’ve heard from other parents that they find out more about what’s happening with their kids while driving them around.  That’s true with Oldest as well. 


I’m going to make a point of driving him around more in the future.  I wonder what I will learn.

No comments: