Monday, February 3, 2020

A Break in the Rain

We've had rain here in the Seattle area.  LOTS of rain.  So much rain that two rivers had stage 4 flood warnings.  As it happens, those to rivers merge less than a mile from my house.  I was nervous about it over the weekend.  I packed up a bug-out bag in case we had to leave in a hurry.

Yesterday, we had some glorious sun.  Middle Son was frantic to get outside.  One of his favorite things to do in the whole world is shred grass.  When it is pouring rain, he's not very interested in going outside.  He doesn't like to wear a hood or a hat, and he doesn't like getting his head wet.  When the sun came out, he wanted to be out there shredding.  Sunday morning when I got up, he was sitting at the table with his shoes and coat on.  On the way home from church (it's only three blocks away, so we walk) he grabbed a handful of grass when we got close to our house and shredded it on the porch.

After lunch, he came to me again with his coat and shoes on.  I let him out in the back yard.  He stayed there, merrily shredding away, until I brought him in as it was getting dark.  His hands were filthy--he was pulling up mud with every clump of grass that he grabbed.

It was nice to see he doing something that he gets so much satisfaction from, even if it is weird to my eyes.

No comments: