Tuesday, February 5, 2013

What the Future Holds

My fiancee and I were talking on Sunday about financial goals, saving for the kid's educations, etc.

It got me to thinking about what the future may hold my children.  Middle Son's future is clear--he will never support himself or live independently.  It simply isn't in the cards.  Youngest Son is a typically developing child, so I have typical expectations of him.  He will grow up to a capable, productive citizen and make his way in the world.

For Oldest Son, the picture is much less clear.  He has a capable intellect.  But he struggles tremendously with executive function--planning, follow-through, task management, etc.  He squeaked a passing grade in math this semester.  The problem isn't that he doesn't understand the concepts.  I've watched him working on  his homework, and he does understand the principles.  His problem is executing on the process of homework.  He has tremendous problems remember what he is supposed to do, doing it, keeping track of what he has done, and getting the homework to the teacher so it can be graded.

My hope is that he will be able to surmount the challenges and make his way in the world.  My fear is that he won't.

No comments: