Friday, February 22, 2013

More on Executive Function

I had a very interesting conversation with a coworker of mine about executive function.

He has shared with me that he has a diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome, just like Oldest Son.  I was describing the conversation that I had with Oldest about executive function, homework, and future careers.

He said that one of the things that he really struggles with is juggling multiple activities over long time spans.  If he is told in January that there are five projects that he needs to have done by May, he has a really hard time planning out the different tasks and managing them.  It's far easier for him to have only a single project at a time.  He contrasted that with his own manager, who has told him that he gets bored if he has to stick with a single task for too long, and much prefers to move between multiple tasks.

I want to share that with Oldest next week, when he is back at my house.

No comments: