Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Plunger and Puppet

Oldest Son wore a puppet on his left hand to preschool every day.  I remember it being a raccoon.  I was talking to MomC about it recently, and she said that she thought it was a rat.  At any rate, he called it Cute.

I drove him to preschool on Valentines day, and he told me that Cute would get Valentines, because he was a member of the class.  I told the teachers that and they set up a bag for Cute and put Valentines in it.

The other unusual item that Oldest took to preschool was a toilet plunger.  He took it for show and tell.  He had been interested in our plunger so we bought him one that he could play with.  When I stopped to think about it, it was kind of fun--a plunger is basically a giant suction cup.

The day that he took it for show and tell I walked him up to the teacher so I could talk to her.  The handle was sticking out of his backpack.  She asked what he had in there, and I said "oh, you'll never guess.  He's got a toilet plunger in there."  She cracked up laughing.  I told her that it was a "virgin" plunger that we'd bought him to play with.  I remember later seeing pictures of him showing it to his classmates.  He had stuck it to the floor and was pulling on it with all his might.

Some book that I read about autism said that low-function children live in a world of their own, but high-function kids live their own way in our world.  My own experiences bear that out.  Middle Son lives very much in his own world.  I sometimes describe him as being at right-angles to consensual reality.

Oldest son lives in the same world as the rest of us.  And sometimes, in preschool as today, he does things very much his own way.

No comments: